Peter Ganner: Engineer’s Fatal Fall From 8500m to Death On Everest

Peter Ganner was an Austrian television engineer who passed away on the tallest mountain in the world, Mount Everest. Ganner fell from the height of 8500m in the mountain, which is 8848m tall. The fall was severe, and there was no way that the mountain climber would make it out alive. Along with him, two other mountaineers died the very next day of his fall. Peter, having been resting in the face of the mountain for more than two decades, is still a name in the mountaineering community that is renowned to all.

There are lots of things to know about Ganner and his fall. Make sure to read till the end of this article to know more about what happened to Peter Ganner, who had a fatal fall from 8500m to death on Everest.

What happened to Peter Ganner on Mount Everest in 2001?

What happened to Peter Ganner on Mount Everest in 2001

Peter Ganner was an Austrian mountaineer and television engineer. He was on his journey to summit Mount Everest at 8848m above sea level. He was 57 years old at the time of his passing. The fall that took his life was at the southeast ridge of the mountain. During the same time, four more people suffered from very bad altitude sickness while three of the mountaineers died. Three of the ones who died in the mountain were all from different expedition groups. All these mountain climbers from different expeditions were trying to reach the summit at a given time period before the bad weather led to a fatal accident.

Around 50 people went to the mountain in an attempt to reach the mountain in a span of two days from the Nepalese side during the same time as that of the climb of Peter Ganner. Likewise, a few others had gone from the Tibetan side of the mountain. After 1996, 2001 was the year that brought into reminiscence what happened during the former year when 15 people died in the mountain. The death of those 15 people inspired Jon Krakauer‘s best-seller “Into Thin Air.” Though 2001 did not have as many casualties despite the heavy traffic that resulted from the delays of climb due to bad weather and off-season, Ganner and three more mountaineers suffered due to several different reasons.

According to the Nepalese Tourism Ministry, on a 1-hour, 37-minute period on a Wednesday of 2001, 37 climbers raced to reach the summit of Mount Everest. This was not the easiest climb as it killed Peter Garner, a Russian climber, Aleksei Nikiforov, and an Australian climber, Mark Auricht. In the same expedition, a 15-year-old Temba Tsheri lost five fingers but became the youngest person to summit Mount Everest.

Rescue for Peter Ganner

Rescue for Peter Ganner

A rescue team approached the mountain from the Tibetan side, which was rather rare given that there were almost no expeditions or rescues from that side of the mountain. However, despite several attempts, most of the initial attempts to save the four people who died just below the summit seemed almost impossible. Earth Treks Climbing Center’s members tried their best to make the attempt, and the rescue team stayed in the mountain in an attempt to save the dead for several days.

There were news related to the rescue and the several failed attempts of the rescuers during that time. Internet portals and very limited sources from Advance Base Camp made sure to keep the family of Peter Ganner informed about him. Though the news of his fall was out, there was almost no hope for the survival of Ganner. At that time, many mountaineers were found and were irresponsive even though they had not completely lost their breath. Along with the rescuers from the international mountaineering agencies, there were Sherpas who would take great amounts of oxygen cylinders to the injured mountain climbers. A lot of them were retrieved to safety, while a few were beyond recognizable.

The most tragic death out of all had to be that of Peter Ganner. Falling from a small height itself is a nightmare to many. But the television engineer was only 165 feet away from the summit when he lost his balance and fell from the mountain. The fall, of course, was very harsh and could not keep him alive. On Wednesday, May 23, 2001, Ganner passed away in the mountains despite coming close to his victory. He was on the Nepalese side of the mountain when the incident took place.

Memoir of Peter Ganner

Memoir of Peter Ganner

Peter Ganner could never make it out alive from the ruthless Mount Everest. His family was devastated by the loss of him. Ganner was a husband and a father. At 8400m on Mount Everest, his family made sure to establish a grave for him. The funeral had not been possible for the mountaineer, though. Ganner’s wife and children dedicated a tombstone with words engraved that say, “In memory of Peter Ganner from Klorsterneuberg/Austria. He rests at 8400m in the Kangshung face, where he died on May 24, 2001, in the arms of Sherpa Pasang Gelu Sherpa. In love, your wife Ingrid and your children Pupert Klemens Hedwig and Agnes.”

On top of the tombstone, there is also a written phrase, “Do not stand at my grave and weep. I am not there. I do not steep. I am a thousand winds that blow. I am the diamond glints on snow.”

Frequently Asked Questions:

Where did Peter Ganner start his journey?

Peter Ganner started his climb from the Nepalese side of the mountain.

Where did Peter Ganner die?

Peter Ganner died at the Kangshung face of Mount Everest.

What happened to Peter Ganner?

Ganner fell from 8500m from the Mount Everest.

Did Peter Ganner climb the summit of Mount Everest?

No, he could not make it to the top of Mount Everest.

Was Peter Ganner found?

Yes, Pasang Gelu Sherpa was the one who held Ganner till he passed away.

Also read:


Traveller, Travel Blogger and SEO Expert who combines his love for exploration with his talent for writing and digital marketing.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button